Tuesday 3 May 2011

SunButter Greenies


Hi everyone,
So my kiddies are finally better and off to school today. Thank goodness. I think one more day cooped up at home would have drove us all crazy - especially with the rain today!
I baked up these fun cookies last night made with SunButter and maple syrup. If you've never tried SunButter I highly recommend it! It tastes like peanut butter but there isn't a peanut in sight! They have sweetened and unsweetened. Its awesome for kids with allergies and great to sending to school! There is some chemical reaction that happens with the sunflower seeds and baking soda as the cookies cool and the centers turn dark green! The kids thought it was pretty cool and wanted to eat them for breakfast. And I let them!



I followed the recipe and used about 2 tbsp of batter per cookie which resulted in huge cookies. Next time I will use a smaller scoop, bake for a shorter amount of time and that way I'll be able to fit them in their lunchboxes. This recipe uses pretty much a whole jar of SunButter and a lot of maple syrup... If you're leery and just want to try the recipe out, you could easily halve it. Also you could substitute some agave for the syrup.

SunButter Greenies
Adapted from The Allergen-Free Bakers Handbook by Cybele Pascal (I love this book!!!)
Makes 24 3-inch cookies

2 c plus 4 tbsp Namaste Perfect Flour Blend (or Basic Flour Mix plus 1/2 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 c SunButter (organic, unsweetened)
1 1/2 c maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line to baking sheets with parchment or Silpat mats.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour mix, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Measure the SunButter in a glass, liquid measuring cup. Heat for about 1 minute in the microwave to soften.
Add the softened SunButter, maple syrup and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Once combined add the chocolate chips, if using.

For Large Cookies: drop 2 tbps of batter onto the baking sheet, then flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. The cookies must cool all the way to turn green.

For Smaller Cookies: drop 1 tbsp of batter onto the sheet, flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden.
Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. The cookies must cool all the way to turn green.


5 comments:

  1. I can see why the kids would love them! nothing better than green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lianne Parker3 May 2011 at 08:22

    Sunbutter is the best product EVER! I only discovered it last month, I was looking for a sub for peanut butter, that actually tastes like peanut butter. I didn't like Peabutter, and Soy butter has a funny after taste. I think it was one of my most happiest days ever...now I may have to try this recipe, looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so fun!
    I'll try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Krista,
    Yum! Since I blog for SunButter, I spend quite a bit of time clarifying the green hue when baking with it. LOVE that you embraced it! (As a fellow mom, I do, too. The kids love having new friends over to share 'greenies.') Thanks for the inspiration and fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do u think u could help me? I wanted to make the green cookies for Halloween I took my normal peanut butter cookie recipe and just subbed sunbutter for the peanut butter but my cookies didn't turn green :-( any clue y or how I could fix it? We r not vegan or anything so I really don't want to buy special ingredients that I normally don't already have.

    ReplyDelete